- BARBOUR, Julian
- THE END OF TIME: the next revolution in our understanding of the universe Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1999
Although the laws of nature create a powerful illusion that time is flowing, in fact there are only timeless ‘nows'. A quantum theory of the universe brings together Einstein's general theory of relativity – which denies the existence of a unique time – and quantum mechanics – which demands one. Only the most radical of ideas can resolve the conflict between these two foundational pillars of Modern physics... there is, quite literally, no time at all. The sense of time passing actually emerges from a universe that is timeless.
- BARROW, John D.
- THEORIES OF EVERYTHING: The Quest for the Ultimate Explanation
Oxford UP, 1991
Nature and problem of Time / Quantum mystery / ‘time becomes space' proposal.
- IMPOSSIBILITY: The Limits of Science & the Science of Limits
Curvature / Manipulation / Time-travel: Frank Tipler.
- BERRY, Adrian
- THE IRON SUN: Crossing the Universe through Black Holes.
Time: Structure of, slowing-down, backwards-running / time-machines / Tipler.
- BROME, Vincent
- J.B. PRIESTLEY
Hamish Hamilton, 1988.
Influence of Dunne's time theory (Time & the Conways)
- CHAPMAN, Barry
- REVERSE TIME TRAVEL: The exciting revelation that travelling backwards through Time is possible.
Breakthroughs that have formed the essential stepping stones towards the new unfolding theories of the nature of time. These range from Newton's laws of Physics through the latest concepts of time dilation, to the fourth, fifth and even higher dimensions. One day travel back in time might well be possible.
- COVENEY, Peter & HIGHFIELD, Roger
- THE ARROW OF TIME: A voyage through science to solve time's greatest mystery
W. H. Allen, 1990.
Images of Time / Newtonian physics: time loses its direction / Relativity: how Time defeated Einstein / A quantum leap for time / The arrow of time: thermodynamics / A unified vision of time / The unended quest.
- DAVIES, Paul
- ABOUT TIME: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution
Timewarps / Black holes: Gateways to the end of Time / Quantum Time / Imaginary Time / The Arrow of Time / Backwards in Time / Time-travel: Fact or Fantasy? Experimenting with Time.
- DAVIES, Paul & GRIBBIN, John
- THE MATTER MYTH: towards 21st-century science.
Time: Dilation, flow, reversal, travel / Frank Tipler.
- DUNNE, J.W.
- AN EXPERIMENT WITH TIME (Third Edition 1934)
Faber & Faber, 1942.
Dimensions of time / Time-machine - C.H. Hinton & H.G.Wells
- GRIBBIN, John
- IN SEARCH OF THE EDGE OF TIME
Bantam Press, 1992.
Includes Two Ways to Build a Time Machine: Time loops and other twists; tachyonic time travellers; Gödel's universe; Tipler's Time Machine; Wormholes and time travel; Paradoctoring the paradoxes.
- GOTT, Richard
- Time Travel in Einstein's Universe
Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 2001.
Since Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, physicists have discovered idiosyncracies in the workings of the universe, with wormholes, superstrings, and oscillating-universe models... How to build a time machine, how to beat the speed of light, and tackle time-travel paradoxes.
- HAWKING, Stephen
- A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME: from the Big Bang to Black Holes
There are three arrows of time that distinguish past from future: thermodynamic/ psychological / cosmological.
- A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME: A Reader's Companion
- HAWKING, Stephen & PENROSE, Roger
- THE NATURE OF SPACE & TIME
Princeton UP, 1996.
- KAKU, Michio
- HYPERSPACE: A Scientific Odyssey through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, & the Tenth Dimension
Entering the Fifth Dimension / Unification in ten dimensions / Wormholes: Gateways to another universe? / To build a Time Machine.
- VISIONS: How Science will revolutionize the 21st Century and beyond.
Oxford UP, 1998.
The Einstein-Rosen Bridge connects two parallel universes and thus two time eras / Problems with wormholes and Time Machines
- KLEIN, Étienne
- CONVERSATIONS WITH THE SPHINX; Paradoxes in Physics.
Souvenir Press, 1996
Langevin's Paradox (1911) / Olbers Paradox (1823) / the paradox of Schrödinger's Cat (1935) / The EPR Paradox (1935) / The violation of Parity / The Paradox of the Arrow of Time, or the Course of History – is irreversibility a mirage or reality?
- MAETERLINCK, Maurice
- THE LIFE OF SPACE
Allen & Unwin, 1928.
Hinton, Ouspensky, J.W. Dunne.
- NAHIN, Paul J.
- TIME MACHINES: Time Travel in Physics, Metaphysics, and Science Fiction.
2nd edition /Springer-Verlag NY, 1999.
An overview of Time Travel – H.G. Wells, why his Time Machine won't work / Where are all the time travellers? / Tipler's Time Machine / Hyperspace & wormholes / The Philosophy & Physics of Reversed Time / Time travel paradoxes and (some of) their explanations / Wheeler & Feynman and their Bilking Paradox / Tachyonic Signals, Spooky Actions & the Bell Antitelephone / Tech notes.
- NOVIKOV, Igor
- BLACK HOLES and the Universe
Cambridge UP, 1990.
- PEAT, F. David
- SUPERSTRINGS and the Search for the THeory of Everything
- PENROSE, Roger
- THE EMPEROR'S NEW MIND: Concerning computers, minds, & the laws of physics.
Oxford UP, 1989.
Flow of Time / Irreversibility / Conscious perception.
- SHADOWS OF THE MIND: A search for the missing science of consciousness
Oxford UP, 1994-5.
Flow of Time / Timelike lines and closed timelike lines.
- PICKOVER, Clifford A.
- TIME: A Traveller's Guide.
Oxford UP, 1998.
Illuminates the most mysterious phenomenon in the universe – time itself. Is time travel possible? Is time real? Does it flow in one direction only? Does it have a beginning and an end? What is eternity? ... By the time we finish this book, we understand such seemingly arcane concepts as space-time diagrams, light cones, cosmic moment lines, Lorentz transformations, superliminal & ultraliminal motions, Minkowskian space-times, Gödel universes, closed timelike curves, and Tipler cylinders. And most important, we will understand that time travel need not be confined to myth, science fiction, Hollywood fantasies, or scientific speculation. Time travel, we will realise, is possible.
- PIRANI, Felix & ROCHE, Christine
- The Universe for Beginners
Icon Books, 1993.
- POUNDSTONE, William
- THE RECURSIVE UNIVERSE: Cosmic Complexity & the Limits of Scientific Knowledge.
Oxford UP, 1987.
- REES, Martin
- JUST SIX NUMBERS: The Deep Forces that Shape the Universe
Softback Preview, 2000
- WOLF, Fred Alan
- PARALLEL UNIVERSES: The Search for Other Worlds.
Real Time, Zero Time, Imaginary Time & Real Space, Imaginary Space / How Parallel Universes predict a new notion of Time / Time Travel Paradox resolution by Parallel Universes/ Building a Time Machine.